Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Knowledge Versus Wisdom

'Why is it called wisdom tooth?', I writhed in pain. Linus must have sighed some deep breath of relief without letting me know. Well, I have not been talking much, if you should know. No, not that I am becoming wiser to consider if speech is silver, silence is golden. Silence in fact is a ulcer in the gum thanks to the mis positioned wisdom tooth!

Hmm, silence does give one some space to contemplate. In a slight meditative posture: back straight and eyes closed, I muse, isn't there a knowledge tooth in the offing. I merely smile at my wise self and scorn off the thoughts of knowledge tooth, tongue or toe nail! (in precisely same order).

I browse through wiki to see what it says on wisdom:

Wisdom, according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, is defined as the "1 a: Accumulated philosophic or scientific learning-knowledge; b: Ability to discern inner qualities and relationships-insight; c: Good sense-judgment d: Generally accepted belief . 2: A wise attitude, belief, or course of action. 3: The teachings of the ancient wise men"[1].

(source :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisdom)

Hmm, quite a heavy definition! It includes knowledge in its definition. Well, well well, lest I deviate my wisdom tooth gently grazes my smooth red gums and I become wiser. I recall my visits to the dentist. The clean clinic, the white apron, the light over my mouth, the hand in glove and PAIN. Argh, I recall with regret the advise of the doc, we might need to extract the WISDOM tooth, if it stays stubborn and continues to bully the gum.

Now, my dear wisdom tooth, can I ask you to exercise some wisdom and just live and let live, lest you want me to be purely knowledgeable and bereft of wisdom albeit wisdom tooth!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They say there's wisdom in pain. A poetic irony for you, V.
So Knowledge vs. Wisdom? I prefer wisdom... knowledge seems too overrated these days... Also, i look up to monkeys for Wisdom, you know...