Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Suisse Air

Bonjour!

I sit in my drawing room, through the thin transy white curtains, I look at the tree with yellow leaves and beyond that covered in fog or mist lie majestic Alps.

Each morning Linus steps out in the balcony and squeals, here look at it honey, it has snowed on that peak today. Every morning there is one more snow capped peak to look at. I smile at his joy, and from my kitchen I tell him, it is too cold to be outside.

I bring his steaming cup of coffee and lay his breakfast on the table. It makes me feel like a woman. 3 weeks on my own, 3 weeks of cooking, cleaning, carrying lunch for Sunil to the lake side, eating together- it has made me a woman. And I have begun to own this house. Or has this house begun to own me.... I wonder.

And, then when I have rendered my duties to this house. Like a free bird, no more a house wife, I start on a journey of my own. I walk the flowered roads by the lake side, I chat with a newly found friend, I read Amitav Ghosh's book, The shadow lines, I click pictures of mountains from the window of Chateau of Chillion. I wander with my hair dishevelled, like in college days, carefree and a rebel in some quiet ways...

A new life, or an old life... I wonder. Back in a pair of jeans, Nike sneakers and two straps on my shoulders of a bag like a skool going kid.... I wonder if it all were true, the make up, the lipstick, the sarees, the salwar kameez, the necklaces, the rings...

Hmmm... it is raining this afternoon. So Linus came home for lunch for a change. Otherwise I go to Vevey and we have our lunch together by the lake side.

Ah, I need to tell you more about the place I am now... A place that exists in dreams, a place that in the Globe or Atlas will read Switzerland...

More later.

No comments: