Monday, August 28, 2006

Come Back

It has been long, and I have been away. I do not know if you have missed me. But here I am anyways.

Hmm, of all these days that I have disappeared I can perhaps only justify by writing to you about what I did .

One of the interesting things is about making maps. Let me confess at the outset that I am terrible with directions. My mom always says that I inherit my road sense from her. She, is as she says, has a highly developed road sense, it is just these darn roads that change directions, the monument which used to be in the left corner one day suddenly shifts to the right... and and everybody thinks it was always on the right! Now no body believes that roads change their course or that buildings move or that North always is at North. If you move from north to south you should be in south but in south also there is a north... how confusing....

So, in Kolkata, I have been trying to connect roads, Theatre road, Camac St, Russel St. , Park St. and so on and so forth. When I am in a cab with Linus, I look out of the window and try to make my map, often I have to erase land marks and reposition them. Linus wouldn't agree but I know roads have changed direction and repositioned themselves. Any case I make quick corrections and we move on.

In the process of map making I sometimes lose the track of conversation, of situation , of the fact that we are going to shop for him and not me. In such times I am very quiet, noting and jotting down landmarks and yes building my map.

Linus is lucky, he hasn't had to face the chatterbox upfront, as of yet.... But how long???

Cya all soon and around....
Vid

No comments: