Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Mumbai to Kolkata

Mumbai is Mumbai. In deed!

My short trip to Mumbai will go down as one of the memorable trips in my life. Of course I met Kritin and we fell instantly in love with each other. By the time Linus came Kritin had made sure that Vid Aunty would tell stories only to him. Linus uncle smiled sheepishly as the three year old followed me every where.

Hmm... so we have grown up to become uncles and aunties ourselves. How quickly time passes by! In deed! My 2 nights, 3 days trip to Mumbai was such. Even before I could assimilate the cosmo culture, I am back to my comfort zone. Mumbai is in deed fast. People are go getters or so it seems. But what stood odd was the lingo. Be it a 'tu jaa naa', or 'jaa yeh rakh de'. Odd in the sense that it does not sound polite. And Kritin too is not untouched by the Mumbaiya style. 'ajeeb haalat hai', as he would have commented! I on the other hand come from the school of thought who believe 'aap' a more suitable pronoun to be used while addressing people. 'Tu', I used to think was reserved for people quite close to you. It is such in Nepali. The three distinct pronouns that our language has as opposed to English's YOU, can be appalling to both a child and an English trying to learn Hindi! Bengali has two pronouns, 'tumi' and 'aapni'. Aapni, is reserved for unknown people and people who you are formally paying respect. Other wise it is tumi!

I read about tweets in the newspaper while I was whiling my time in the Mumbai airport. And I should tell you here, I really liked the Mumbai airport. The one at Kolkata is really small in comparison. No wonder I had to queue up for security check for a long time while departing from Cal.

Okay, another disconnected thought... I was thinking this again on my flight.The first thought was to start writing. Writing a blog post, a story sometime soon and more. The next thought was... who reads it anyway.. So may I request my readers to let me know why you come to my corner and go through my babbling? What do you see in my writing?

I am waiting fellas!

1 comment:

sunmohta said...
This comment has been removed by the author.